Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Adoro Ergo Sum: 3 Questions for the Transgendered Community

Adoro Ergo Sum: 3 Questions for the Transgendered Community



Nathan Barontini's recent blog post.  Considerate and measured, but also honest--he doesn't back away from tough questions.  A good read and he concludes with oh-so-necessary reminders:

I'll end with a few important comments directed to those who, like myself, find ridiculous the notion that men can really be women and women can really be men simply because they wish they were members of the opposite sex.

1. No discrimination. Ever.
None. Zero. Nada. Niente. can be tolerated. The Catholic Church's teaching on homosexuality can be applied here, I think,

This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.(CCC 2358)
2. Don't just tolerate them, love them.
The proper response from a Catholic toward our brothers and sisters struggling with gender identity disorder is support, kindness, friendship, and LOVE. As I mentioned in the previous post, Jesus never tells us to "tolerate" one another. Tolerance is not a Christian virtue. Leave that to atheists. We are called to LOVE our brothers and sisters. I may tolerate my neighbor's kid smoking pot or flunking out of school, but I would never tolerate my own children doing so, why? Because I love my kids. I am called to feel that same way about my neighbor and his kids. Tolerance calls for me to leave you alone and you to leave me alone as long as we aren't bugging anyone else. Christian love demands more. It demands wanting the best for our neighbors and helping them to attain it. These people need our love and support. Of course, such love must be grounded in reality. We cannot pretend a male is a female or a female is a male. We are what we are, reality must be dealt with. It isn't an act of love to help someone run away from who they have been created to be. If you struggle with this, remember how much God loves you, despite your failings, flaws, and sins. Remember, He did this for us when we were still lost sheep ourselves...



Important reminders!

No comments:

Post a Comment