Thursday, October 11, 2012

I've just about had it...

with my fellow Catholic academics, especially theologians, writing columns regarding next month's election that combine rhetorical exclusivism (there's no room for disagreement, apparently) and occasional snark. This is the sort of thing that leads to theologians sending elected officials copies of the  Compendium on Social Doctrine of the Church.

Oh wait, that's already been done.

I don't know Dr. Finn. He's free to write such columns and charity requires that they be read, well, charitably, i.e., fairly.  In fact, I actually like some of the argument.  Discussions of prudence and intrinsic evil?  Sure! 

However, there will be people liking the article on Facebook...and then turning around to damn George Weigel who, let's just say, has a different view.  Folks, you can't play it that way.  BOTH Finn and Weigel are free to make their cases with recourse to Catholic teaching.  Free country, free people, free minds, keep on rockin' in the free world...

But, and this clinches it for me, separating ourselves from the Church where we want is not an option.  In that regard--on this issue as well as overall--I think Weigel has the stronger position.  I'm also not thrilled about the implication that Finn's position is stronger than Archbishop Chaput's.  (Criticism of the hierarchy--another blog post for another day...)  But I say that not because I'm enamored with Weigel and hate Dr. Finn.  No, it's because I, too, have read what Benedict XVI thinks.

1 comment:

  1. So how are you today?

    I think that we are in a challenging time, although they are all challenging, aren't they? I am often plagued with angst over how we can live as a eucharistic people, when we are so fragmented. Yet, it is Christ himself who draws the members together - in all of our brokenness.

    That may all sound like a lot of hogwash to some, but for me, it is the only way. I have no clue how to balance the rules and the teachings with the life of love, and I mightily struggle.

    In the end, boy did our friend Aquinas understand this, we have but our consciences. In the meantime however, I do worry about how we might be One.

    ReplyDelete